How To Apply for a Residency Program (International Students)

Step One - Initial Application

The first step to apply for a Canadian experience with the Prairie Land International Program is to fill out an application. Download and complete the fillable PDF application form. Once completed, forward it along with the non-refundable $200.00 CAD application fee and copies of the specified supporting documents via:

  • Email to


  • Postal Mail to

Prairie Land International Program
Prairie Land School Division
101 Palliser Trail
Hanna, AB T0J 1P0

Note: The non-refundable, $200 CAD Registration Fee may be submitted by Canadian money order, e-transfer, wire transfer or Paypal. E-transfer or Paypal information will be provided upon request.

Step Two - Payment of Tuition and Fees

Once you have received notice that Prairie Land International has conditionally approved your application, payment in full of all tuition and fees for the selected program is required to confirm registration. Payment can be made by certified cheque, bank draft, or wire transfer. Please clearly indicate the name of the student for which the funds are intended. Once the tuition and fees have been received by Prairie Land, a letter of acceptance will be issued by Prairie Land.

Please mail funds to:

Prairie Land International Program
Prairie Land School Division
101 Palliser Trail
Hanna, AB T0J 1P0 CANADA.

Note: Bank drafts must be sent via courier.

Step Three - Apply for Study Permit and Visa

In order to study in Canada, international students must obtain a Study Permit from the Government of Canada. This application may be made online, and information on how to apply can be found on the Canadian Government Immigration and Citizenship website. Students will need their letter of acceptance, a valid passport and proof that they have the financial resources required for their stay. In addition, students under the age of 18 must have a completed Custodianship Declaration form. Additional information for students under 18 years of age can be found on the information for minor children page of the Immigration and Citizenship website.

Most visitors to Canada will require a Visa OR an Electronic Travel Authorization. For more information and to determine which documentation is required, please see the Immigration and Citizenship Visa web page and complete the questionnaire on it. Please note that students who apply for a study permit using the online process will automatically have their Visa or eTA issued at the same time as their Study Permit.

Medical Insurance

Medical insurance is mandatory a student's stay in Canada. Included in the provided coverage are hospital/clinic visits, prescriptions, family transportation, air ambulance, repatriation, emergency dental, one eye exam, out-of-province travel insurance, and emergency medical evacuation. Medical insurance coverage will be arranged by Prairie Land on a cost recovery basis.

Please note: Pre-existing conditions are not covered, nor are medical claims involving alcohol or drugs.